Monday, January 12, 2009

Rollercoasting...

Thats how I feel my week to week life is anyway. I just wish everyone in my family would understand that. And I fear that I am just not as able to swing my rhythms back and forth like I could 6 years ago when I started this crazy weekend work schedule. And to think that for a long time I was working full time (three 12hr shifts), and now its just two. But I'm likening my weekends to a trip to Cedar Point.

On Fridays I get all packed up- my stuff and the kids and take off to the amusement park. I drive all over Timbuktu to get there and then check in, drop the kids off at the childrens area (aka: babysitters) and hit the big rides (aka: ICU) for my self and my "family" (aka: co-workers). I spend ALL day on my feet, sweating, barely taking a break to pee, eating lots of junk food to keep myself going since I barely slept the night before and I'm surrounded by the sights and smells of tasty food (aka: the stupid chocolate, cookies, pizza, etc... that often grace our unit curtousy of co-workers and pt's families). I get nauseous, but I keep on trucking, trudging along for the thrill. My adrenaline constantly surging and then dropping, leaving me even more drained. My legs are achy and like rubber at the end of the day, but I still have to make it back to the hotel where I wait for my hubby to finally take responsibility for the kidlets so I can catch a few hours of sleep-like 5hrs tops. Then I wake up to deal with hyper, overtired kiddos who are eager to go have more fun too. So we set out for day #2 at the park. Luckily I don't have to deal with them while I'm at the amusement park (aka: work). So the cycle starts over and I repeat everything for a second day, only to come back home and maybe get only 2-4 hours of sleep before I'm expected to be up and ready for family activities on day three. Perhaps even a big family reunion or two where I have to seem happy and cheerful and deal with my children with grace and careful attention. I drink lots of caffeine to keep myself awake and going. I therefore cannot fall asleep that night even though my exciting vacation weekend is over. I spend the next next several days trying to unpack, do laundry and get back on schedule. I don't really see hubby cause he works and sleeps opposite my schedule so no one is there to help me. By about Thursday I'm almost finally on track. Whew.

Then Friday comes and we leave for Cedar Point again and it all starts over. This repeats 48 out of 52 weeks a year......

1 comment:

mommy nurse said...

So true! Never a dull moment on the roller coster!